Why Latin?

Some people ask this question. Well, for starters, over half of our English words are derived from Latin. If you just think about about it, learning Latin will help you better understand our English vocabulary. Also, studying Latin improves mental discipline, and opens the door to reading classical and technical literature.

I cannot tell you how many times my kids will notice Latin words when we are out in about. Just this summer, when we where at a water park, I notice a young man with a tattoo in Latin. I actually read it and understood its meaning. A few weeks ago, we noticed a man wearing a t-shirt in WalMart with Latin words, but they were not very polite words.

Okay, back to the benefits of learning Latin. Studying Latin improves mental discipline because it is highly organized, logically structured, and a systematic language. When translating Latin to English, students must develop a logical flow for considering noun and verb endings, word order, and the grammatical function of each word in the sentence. 

Latin fine tunes language skills in three ways: by enhancing students' English vocabularies, reinforcing their understanding of English grammar, and improving their writing skills.

When we teach our children Latin, we open doors for them-doors to reading history, literature, science, medicine, and scripture. Imagine your children automatically translating the scientific names of animals and insects, gaining a fresh perspective on democracy, and reading John 1 in Latin. Latin students reconnect not just with the roots of our language, but with the roots of our culture and our Christian faith.

from: Classical Christian Education Made Approachable by Classical Conversations pages 42-43

This is so true because I am seeing the fruit with our older two kids and in myself. Latin certainly adds depth to the meaning of English words. I cannot explain it, you just have to experience it for yourself. I hope you consider Latin for your children.

Comments