Reflecting On My Children

Well, my plate is full these days. I am writing this post today to help me, when I am in need of a little refreshment.

The school year will be ending soon but it does not matter, since we home school all year long in this home. I have been noticing a few things about my children. They are showing signs that will direct them toward their future. I've read books about this but I am just realizing it is happening within my children.

Our oldest will not be taking the college route. She has stated that she wants to be a wife, mom, homemaker, and to home school her children. She enjoys anything that has to do with sewing. She is a very independent learner. I just have to tell her what I expect from her and she gets it done. She is very easy to home school. She is an avid reader and reads high school level books. I have to watch what books I leave around the house because she will read every book I bring into our home. I am surprised with how many Latin words she knows. Math and science are not her strongest subjects. She puts pressure on herself to maintain herself at grade level math. She loves to play the piano and would love to start taking violin lessons. To be honest with you, I have no doubt that my daughter could handle cooking and cleaning if I was not home. She has already made plenty of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. I truly believe that she enjoys her farm life.


Our middle student might go to college but I can see him attending a Tech school. He is a challenge to home school because he is not interested in most subjects. The only subjects he seems to enjoy is science and art. He will take an encyclopedia book off the shelf and have no problem reading it from cover to cover. He reads for information not for pleasure. It takes him forever to read chapter books. I have to hunt for books that will keep him interested in reading for pleasure. He listens to a lot of classic books on tape/CD. He will talk your ear off about technology and science. I hope that he will learn to enjoy Writing, Spelling, Math, and Latin someday. Well, he may never like Latin. He really loves taking care of his ducks. This little boys has something special for ducks. I also think he is gifted in photography and video making. He sure makes the funniest videos.


Our third student is an eager beaver learner. He loves school and seems he cannot get enough of it. I can definitely see him going to college. He is very easy to home school because he loves to learn. He is showing signs of an independent learner. I cannot believe that he likes to write too. He already does his math assignments without me telling him to do them. He loves words of affirmation. He seems to pick up things fast. He is already memorizing Latin words. He can quote to you the ten commandments from memory, the complete verses from the KJV. He amazes me.

All children are so different. I think it is kind of fun to try to figure them out and to discover what gifts God has given them. Do you know your children? What have you discovered about them? What an adventure we parents are on.....

Comments

Mama Rachael said…
Its good that you are discovering the talents, gifts and interests of your children. I remember my mom giving me reign to discover what I love.

I was 18 when I figured out that I wanted to be a wife and mom, and not much else. I do love to teach, but being a teacher just doesn't satisfy that itch. However, the Lord didn't bring Hubby along till I was 27 (married at 28) and it took till this year to get pregnant (33 yrs). I followed my other, secondary, interested till the Lord has given me what I desired. It has fostered trust in His timing and his guidance in my life. As I see me in your oldest the most clearly, thought I'd toss in my two cents.
While my girls are very similar when they interact with each other (some have asked if they're twins) they have very different personalities and interests. The oldest loves information and is very logical and methodical. She loves to design houses and enjoys her maths work. Getting her to write a story is like trying to draw blood from a stone. The other is a nature lover, she's intrigued by insects, gems and stones. She flits from one thing to another leaving many things undone. Both love music and are creative but show it in very different ways. I'm surprised at the different things they think they'll be when they grow up, not unrealistic but goals that they'll be able to strive for. I'm sure some of those goals will change but some will stay.
Tina said…
Thank you The Younger Rachael and Larissa for your comments. I appreicate your thoughts.

Tina