So What Is the Big Deal About Testing?

I know many people get hung up about testing their children. I don't have a problem with it but we don't start testing until 8th grade. I know that typically children take the Stanford Achievement Test every year when they are in public or private school. Our state does not require testing of homeschoolers at all.

We got Carissa's test results back on Saturday for the Stanford Achievement Test and are very pleased with her results. Carissa scored Post High School in Language, Language Mechanics, Science, and Social Science. Her only low score was in math but we knew that this was going to be her weak spot. We don't prep her for the test because we want to see where she actually is, in knowledge. I think next year her score should be better, since she will complete Algebra 1 & Geometry by then. This is her 2nd year testing. Carissa will start 10th grade in the Fall.

She will start preparing for the ACT this year. We will start preparing her for the SAT in the spring because of the new changes to the SAT test. I have received some advise on what to use to prep her. I know that you may be wondering why she is preparing for both tests. Well, Carissa is strong in language mechanics, reading and writing, which may give her a high SAT score. We plan to do practice tests at home for both the ACT and SAT test.

She is actually fine with all the testing. We asked her this year if she wanted to take the Stanford test and she said, "yes."  We want her to be comfortable and not feel pressured to test.

Comments