Classical Conversations




Have you heard of Classical Conversations? I have known about it for a few years. There were no groups in our area a few years ago but that has since changed. It looks like we will be doing Classical Conversations this year. This programs seems to be what we have been wanting these past 6 years of schooling our children.

Classical Conversations teaches the classical model of education. Here are the different stages.


  1. the Grammar stage ---memorizing facts (k-6th grade)
  2. the Dialectic stage ---discovering how the facts relate (7-8th grade)
  3. the Rhetoric stage---applying the facts. (9th -12th grade)
The Bible refers to these stages in Proverbs 24:3-4 as knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.


The children and I just got back from a 3 day practicum in Kansas City. I received more information about what Classical Conversations is all about. Carissa and Nathan had a 3 day public speaking class. Shane had a geography drawing class, which he learned about Africa. Jarrett had a play camp in which he learned the seven continents. We all had a great time. In fact, some of my children did not want to leave.

I just heard about another practicum in Iowa. We may be headed that way....

Back to the story...well Carissa gave a dramatic speech on the last day of practicum. Her classmates (all 19 of them) voted her to do this speech in front of the parents the last day. I am so happy she had fun in the class. Here is a child that did not want go to the class initially.

Here are some videos to view:

Practicum
Challenge Program
What is Classical Conversations
Foundations Program
Essentials Program

A great place to receive information is here. I am so excited and cannot wait to start the new school year. I know it will be rigorous for my children but it will be good. Academics should be a challenge but not overly.





Comments

Rosie said…
I've been hearing a lot about CC. Looks like exciting times for homeschoolers!
God bless!
roseann