A New Diet

Remember a few weeks ago I mentioned going Vegan. Well now, our family will need to change our diet. I don't think I will be going vegan but will try another diet.

A few weeks ago Shane really had some severe symptoms to something. I finally had enough of this and took him to a specialist. We have been witnessing issues for the past few years with his health. The ENT doctor that saw him in February said that he has allergies. He had a very extensive blood test done two weeks ago, which tested him for over 120 allergens.

The doctor called today and said that Shane has a significant allergy to whey, casein, and eggs. Whey and casein is found in milk. Effective immediately, Shane has to be put on a milk and egg free diet.

Casein is a milk protein found in the solid part of the milk, the curds. Whey is a protein found in the liquid part of milk, often referred to as milk plasma. If you have a casein or whey allergy, you are essentially allergic to milk. This is different from lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerant people do not have the right enzymes to break down lactose, a sugar found in milk. They experience extensive digestive issues because of it. A milk allergy is the immune system reacting to the proteins in milk, like casein and whey, as if they were infectious agents.

Now, I really have to read food labels. The doctor wants Shane on a strict diet for the next 30 days.

Comments

Larissa said…
I have allergies to Caesin as well. I've been researching it for a long time. There doesn't seem to be much information but I can share what I've found. Vegan websites are great for dairy free.
http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/
http://www.godairyfree.org/
http://www.chiff.com/health/disease/lactose.htm (this one has more links to other sites)
http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/index.html
http://vegweb.com/
These last two are recipe finders as well as info on vegan eating.
You may know these sites already, if not, enjoy the info.
Tina said…
Larissa,

Thank you for emailing these websites. I am in need of some info. Thank you for your help.

Tina