An Accomplished Daughter

Here is what I read today from the Beautiful Girlhood book revised by Karen Andreola. This is the book that I read to Carissa for personal development.

Do you call a young woman accomplished because she plays well upon the piano, speaks three languages, and is involved in clubs?
First of all a girl should know how to keep house. She should not only know how a room should look after it is put in order, but she should actually know the work necessary in bringing the condition about. She should know how to make beds, sweep and dust, and other hard work necessary to keeping a house in order. It should not be below her dignity to know the use of the scrub-brush and mop. Though she may not do the work regularly, she should know how, and be able to do the tasks when necessary.
A girl should learn to cook good and nourishing meals. It is not enough that she can make fudge, salad, and cake. She should be able to cook vegetables and meats in an appetizing manner.
A girl should be able to launder her own clothes and do it nicely. She should not leave all to her mother when she is able to do it herself.
It is also a good idea to know how to sew and to mend. It takes time and patience to learn these things but it pays in the long run. Much more wear can be gained from a garment if you can mend and alter it when necessary.
She may be in a family that is able to hire these things out. But chances are this will not always be the case when she has a home of her own. Some girls become quite accomplished on other lines but had not learned these household arts, and never began to learn them until they have small children to care for.
These things constitute a real foundation for true accomplishments, and all that a girl can learn over and above these is that much more to her honor and credit. A girl should know how to entertain. She should be able to be a hostess to her friends and those who come to her home, and do it with ease and grace.
While many girls are entering lives of business, teaching, and other occupations that lead them out of the home, now as always a majority come in time to be housewives and mothers. And since this is a lifework of the many, shouldn't they all learn to be accomplished in those things that they will need most? It seems foolish to hear a woman spoken of as accomplished, who is not a good housekeeper, cook, able to alter and mend her own clothes, and make them, if necessary. These are old fashioned, domestic accomplishments, but what every girl will need the most.




Wow, think about your grandmother...perhaps she was given this type of instruction. I had the privilege of being raised in my grandparents home. My grandmother taught me to clean, mend by hand, and how to be a hostess. I taught myself how to sew on a machine and I did not learn how to cook until I was in my 20's. I was taught that you need to rise early in the morning because you never know who will be coming over to visit in the morning. Believe me there were many morning visitors in my grandparents home. What memories I have of those times. My grandparents were not rich monetary wise but they were rich in hospitality. My grandparents always had people in there home. Well, it is sad...no one seems to do this anymore. We have to call before we can come over...this does not seem as neighborly. Being a true homemaker seems to be a lost art. Well, I am one to try to gain it back. How about you?

Do you have any thoughts about this subject?

Comments

Cara said…
I love your blog, Tina! You are doing a great job raising Carissa! My oldest would love to learn to sew, but I just don't have the skills down enough to help her. This post is sooo what our young ladies need to be taught today. Thanks for the inspiration! :) ~Cara Nichols~