A Conversation About Norway


A few months ago, I had a interesting conversation with a lady from Norway. I talked to her for about an hour, while I looked through some items at her garage sale. She said that she has been in the United States for the past 7 years. She has a husband and 3 teenagers.

I asked her about socialism in Norway. She told me it is really bad in Norway and that is why her family left. Norwegians pay 50% of their pay toward taxes. Health care is free in Norway but the waiting list is long for procedures. She told me that a relative was put on a waiting list for six months for an operation regarding cancer treatment. She said that many of people go to other countries for treatment instead of waiting.

We talked about the school system. She told me that everyone is regarded as having the same intelligence. That means, if you are smart then you are bored at school and if you are slow then you will be left behind. The government wants everyone to be equal. The government controls wages, they do not want people to be rich. She also said that there is really no incentive to work in Norway because if you don't work the government will take care of you. People do not work hard over there because they know they will not be able to prosper.

This is all sounding familiar. Think about the unemployment problem here in America. Some people have been on it for a year. Will the government grant them permanent unemployment? Anyway, how is the government paying for all the unemployment? Maybe, I need some educating about unemployment. I thought your employer puts some much money into unemployment but were do the other funds come from.

She also told me that there are many immigrants in Norway because Norwegians will not work for lower paying jobs. This really sounds familiar.

At the end of our conversation she told me I should be proud to be an American. She said that America is a great country because we have freedoms. I told her I am proud to be an American. I thank God that I was born in this country. I just pray that the evilness of Socialism will not consume this country.

Comments