Happy Reformation Day

Have a slice of sweet potato pie with homemade whip cream.
We will be celebrating Reformation Day instead of Halloween. We plan to join other Christians' for food, fellowship, games, and a hayride for Reformation Day. This is the first year we decided to do something different for Halloween.
The following writing is of church history. I am not trying to offend any religion.

On October 31, 1517, was one of the turning points in the history of the world. On that day Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of the Wittenburg Church, and with that deed the Protestant Reformation was born.
The theses was circulated throughout Germany and beyond. What Luther intended to be a discussion on indulgences among the university professors and church man of Wittenburg exploded into a spiritual struggle that engulfed all of Europe.
Believing that scripture clearly taught man the will of God, Luther pointed out errors in the Roman church's teaching about many things, including relics, prayers to saints, and the rule of the pope. Luther was excommunicated for his writings.
Luther's stand against the church would be death by burning. His friends urged him to slow down and keep quiet. But Luther said, "I cannot go against what scripture teaches. I am in God's hands."
Martin Luther's message deeply divided Germany. Some rejoiced to learn that salvation came by faith alone in Jesus Christ, while others remained loyal to the teachings of the Roman Church.
The church wanted Luther to recant but he would not. He was basically put on trial in Worms in 1521, in front of the emperor of Germany, nobles, professors, scholars, and church leaders. During his trial Luther said, "Unless I am convicted by scripture and plain reason--I do not accept the authority of popes and councils alone, for they have contradicted each other--my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything. Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise, so help me God."
Find out what happened to Martin Luther by doing your own research. It is a great story to read.
Happy learning!


Comments